As the Internet grows, it becomes more challenging to find the correct information from a reliable source in a timely manner. As research expert Gary Price puts it, “The haystack is growing and finding the needles takes more time and requires greater skill.”
This course will teach students how to conduct accurate Internet research by creating a search plan, searching both the surface web and the deep web, and staying organized. Students will also learn how to think critically and find the best sources for their Internet search.
What Will Students Learn?
- Describe why Internet research skills are important
- Create a search plan
- Identify what resources are the most appropriate for your search
- Search the surface web and the deep web using a variety of tools
- Assess the credibility and validity of a website
- Organize research notes
- Cite sources and avoid plagiarism